Monday, February 23, 2009

Christ's Church

I don't remember what day but i went to a church called Christ's Church. This church was built in the Ottoman period. It was built for the return of the Jews to Jerualem. They built it so they could convert the Jews to Christianity when they came back to Jerusalem. Inside the Church they made it look similar to a synogogue because they didn't want to make the Jews feel uncomfortable. They have a menorah and a star of david. They don't have any statues and any crosses in the Church. The only thing that they have that resembles a cross is in the stained glass window below. It is actually a grape vine. They really do grow like that. I thought that was so interesting because Christ is referred to as the vine in the scriptures. It was a beautiful church.



Outside and behind the church was this table painted like this. I thought that it was really neat. So of course i took a picture!!! Everything here is so religious or alludes to something religious. I love it!! Its amazign to think about how Christ is the bread of life and that if we eat of His bread we will never go hungry again. I know that to be true. It is only through the Savior that we find happiness and meaning in life. I love my savior and am so thankful for the strength and support and comfort that he has, does, and will continue to give me. I am so thankful to be here in Jerusalem the place where the Savior walked and taught and where he bled and died and then on the 3rd day was resurrected for me and for everyone. I know that the Savior did all of those things. I know that HE LIVES!!! What comfort this sweet sentence gives!


This was on the outside of the Church of Christ. The top is in Hebrew and then Arabic is below it. If i have to tell you what the 3rd one is than i feel sorry for you :) Jerusalem does need peace. I love the people here. It makes me so sad to here the stories that they tell me. So many people have lived here their whole lives or the most of their lives and haven't been able to trully live in peace. I have taken for granted a lof of the blessings that i have of just being able to live in the United States. My Palestinian teacher told us that when he was in the United States his favorite thing to do was to get on bus and just sit there and drive across the country. For him he felt so free doing that. Here there are so many check points that you have to go through all of the time. He lives in Bethlehem which is in Palestinian territory. Every time he comes in to teach us he has to go through border control in order to get into Israel. There are also many check points thorugh out the entire Palestinain territory. I am so blessed in so many ways that i take for granted everyday.












No comments: